Even in the most rewarding of jobs, our energy levels can take a dive. Many people push themselves as though their energy levels are inexhaustible but that is simply not true. You will not always bounce back from a burnout with a little rest. That is why it is important to do everything possible to avoid burnouts. These tips and strategies can help you avoid them and maintain your interest in your job.
- Focus on your social life. All too often people make excuses by saying they are too busy at work to go out and have a little bit of fun. In reality, this is a very important thing to schedule regularly in your life. If you fail to do this, you start doing the same thing on a daily basis. If you life is an endless cycle of going to work and coming home to sleep, then you need to mix it up with some friends. You do not need to do anything crazy. Simply make some time for a friend dinner date or a movie and have some fun.
- Start exercising. Even going to the gym just a few times per week can make you feel a lot better about yourself. It also has a lot of mental benefits. You can even find a friend to go with and combine this with the first tip on the list. Go to the gym and get those endorphins going!
- Find a hobby you enjoy and make time to do it. Find something that you enjoy that has nothing to do with work. This can break up the weekly grind you currently have and allow you to be productive doing something you really enjoy!
- Volunteer in your community. Not only will it allow you to get your mind off of work, it can also make you feel really good about yourself. Even if you are not happy in your job, helping someone less fortunate can show how much you have to be grateful for. Volunteering is good for your community and your soul so see where you can volunteer when you aren’t at work.
- If you are struggling, ask for help. It can be tough to swallow your pride but if one of the reasons you feel like you are approaching a burnout is because you are struggling with a project or time management, nothing will help you more than asking for help from a coworker. More often than not, it is better to ask for help than to struggle through it.
- Learn to laugh. Humor is the best medicine, unless you are actually sick. Even though you go to work to actually work, you can find some humor in the daily grind by talking to coworkers about things other than work. Laughter can reduce stress and if you share it with coworkers, everyone will be a bit happier. If you can’t find it at work, find it outside of work. Consider going to an improve or comedy show with a friend or go see a comedy movie. There are many ways to laugh; you just have to find them.
- Write out your to-do list. Sometimes, just writing down what you have to do will make you less stressed. Crossing off items on your list as you go will make you feel even better. Put down everything, even the small things that will take almost no time at all. Even the small victories count. The process of writing down your list of things to do clarifies your mind so you can see a way out.
- Start your day off right. If you are constantly running late for work or even waking up late, you are starting your day off stressed. Slow your morning down if you are guilty of this. Set your alarm to go off a little bit earlier so you do not feel as rushed. You may even want to give yourself time to enjoy a cup of coffee before work. These little things can make your day go so much better simply because you started it off on the right foot.
- Accept responsibility. It is easy to blame all of your stress on other people like your boss or your coworkers. However, once you start accepting responsibility for your actions, you can find a way to get out of them and make better decisions. You will also find a lot more to be happier about in life. You may have to accept responsibility for mess ups but you will also have to take responsibilities for the things you do right.
- Learn to relax. Not everything in life is as stressful as we make it out to be. We put a lot more pressure on ourselves than we realize. Once you figure out a way to relax and not make things so stressful in life, we can enjoy them more. Whenever you feel as though you are becoming stressed out, think of something relaxing and bring yourself back to reality.
- Get some sleep. Many times, if we are stressed out, we fail to get good sleep. When we do not sleep well, we perform worse during the day. Sleep is very important and stress can cause people to not sleep well. Remove the stress with your relaxation techniques and watch as you handle everything better with a good night of rest.
- Focus on things that make you happy whenever possible. If you are living to work instead of working to live, you are going about this all wrong. You need to prioritize the things that make you happy. You need to work but you do not have to work 12 hours a day. Learn to focus on the things that make you happy when you are off the clock instead of work and you can avoid that burnout.
About the Author
Cara is the Featured Contributor at OnlineMBAPage.com. As an MBA graduate, she uses her knowledge of graduate education, finance, and marketing to help people become a better version of themselves. She welcomes new opportunities to expand her knowledge base.