Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling five balls in the air. You name them – work, family, health, friends and spirit, and you’re keeping all of these in the air.
You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back.
But the other four balls – family, health, friends and spirit are made of glass.
If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same.
You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.”
Brian Dyson, CEO – Coca Cola Enterprises
At The Balanced WorkLife Company we take a holistic approach to working with our clients who are juggling these facets of their lives. If you’re committed to achieving your ultimate potential, you are trying to balance within and between three main areas of your life: your job, your career, and your quality of life.
As a corporate striver it is critical that in your job you:
- Balance your time between strategic and operational endeavors.
- Focus your greatest energy on your strengths and find ways to compensate for your limitations.
In your career you must:
- Recognize that jobs are “temporary” assignments; balance your focus between your current job and planning for your next one, inside or outside your organization.
- Focus on developing and maintaining an extended network. The time to build contacts is not when you are looking for the next position.
And to maintain a quality of life you need to:
- Balance your time between yourself, your family and your friends.
- Focus on your health and fitness so that you walk not wheel yourself into your 90th birthday party.
- Balance your spending between instant gratification and long-term financial security.