If you’re not happy at work then it will be difficult to perform your day to day tasks and for you even to want to get out of bed to go to work in the morning.
It is important to find happiness where you can at work in order to be a more proficient employee and better coworker.
The good news is that there is one essential key to happiness when it comes to work. Most individuals will say that the biggest factor that affects how happy they are at work is them being appreciated and given praise for a job well done. Unfortunately, even if a boss or coworker is pleased with a task you are doing, they may not always show praise or appreciation in a way that you notice.
In fact, many individuals are just not comfortable showing praise and appreciation to someone and they will rarely do it if at all. Because of this, it is up to you to look for little signs of their gratitude and positive praise for a job well done.
Little signs that you are doing a good job and it is recognized by others include:
1. Your boss continuously gives you more work when you complete a task. This will tell you that management knows you are doing good job and trusts you with more work.
2. Your coworkers ask you for advice on how to complete an assignment. This happens because your coworkers know that you are a valuable employee who does the job correctly and that they value your opinion.
3. Listen carefully to how others speak to you. When someone appreciates what you do they will have a tone of respect when talking to you and will often ask for your opinion when it comes to certain tasks.
4. Look for little ways where you have been placed in a leadership position. This could mean being in charge of a large project or being responsible to train a new employee. When a boss gives you tasks where you get to show you are a leader it means the job you are doing is appreciated and your have earned trust as a leader among your coworkers.
5. Pay attention to what clients and coworkers have to say about you. When a boss, coworker or client talks about you in a positive way to someone, often that person with let you know what was said.
Even though the key to happiness at work is generally appreciation and praise, it is important to remember not all bosses or coworkers will let you know you are doing a good job just by telling you. Therefore you have to be realistic about your expectations and look for praise and appreciation in non-conventional ways.
By keeping the above tips in mind you will know that you are doing a good job and are appreciated for your efforts. This will help you be happy at work and do a better job overall because of it.
About the Author: Nick Anderson is a writer for How2become; a leading career and recruitment specialist. For the last 8 years How2become.com has helped applicants prepare for and pass recruitment processes and assessment centres in order to secure their ideal job. Connect with How2become on Twitter