About a thousand articles come out each week on the subject of job interview tips, so I don’t typically share these kind of posts on Careertopia.
However, today’s infographic from CollegeAtlas.org presents the results of a two thousand hiring manager survey in a thoughtful presentation I really enjoyed. The best part is that anyone can apply these tips in their next job interview without much work.
Whether it’s how you appear in the interview, to how to make the right first impression, there’s plenty to learn no matter how seasoned you are.
If you got something out of the inforgraphic, be sure to share it.
34 Crucial Tips For Your Next Job Interview
34 Crucial Tips for Your Next Job Interview
In a survey of more than 2,000 hiring managers, 33% claimed to know whether or not they would hire someone within 90 seconds.
Common nonverbal mistakes made during job interviews
- 67% fail to make eye contact
- 47% have little knowledge of the company
- 38% don’t smile
- 33% have bad posture
- 33% fidget too much
- 26% have a weak handshake
- 21% play with their hair or touch their face
- 21% cross their arms over their chest
- 9% use too many hand gestures
Statistics show that first impressions are determined by
- 55% – The way you dress, act, and walk through the door
- 38% – The quality of your voice, grammar, and confidence
- 7% – The words you choose to say
Things that have an impact on first impressions
- 70% of employers claim they don’t want applicants to be overly fashionable or trendy
- 65% of hiring managers say clothes can be the deciding factor between two similar candidates
- Brightly-colored clothing is bad
Top 10 most common interview mistakes
- Over-explaining why you lost your last job
- Conveying that you’re not over losing your last job
- Lacking humor, warmth or personality
- Not showing enough interest or enthusiasm
- Inadequate research about a potential employer
- Concentrating too much on what you want
- Trying to be all things to all people
- “Winging” the interview
- Failing to set yourself apart from other candidates
- Failing to ask for the job
4 Questions most likely to be asked
- What was your experience like at…?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- What do you know about our company?
- Why did you leave your previous job?
4 Most important interview tips
- Learn about the organization
- Have a specific position in mind that you’d like to fill
- Review your qualifications for the job
- Be ready to briefly describe related experience